- Noise level testing for new sensor.
- New sensor fabricated, (version #3) using fewer turns, with mass <50g.
- Decided to increase chassis thickness to 0.093 inches, for improved radiation protection.
- Results of closed loop tests indicate that design is robust, magnetometer noise levels near 0.1 nT over 500 mHz bandwidth at 1 Hz. Verified for both high field (± 64000 nT) and low field (+/- 1000 nT) ranges. Preliminary temperature stability tests also carried out.
- Test boards populated, verifying basic magnetometer design. Closed loop tests of magnetometer begun.
- UCLA site visit, Technical Status Review. Design of magnetometer reviewed. Slides presented at the review are available online.
Verified that magnetometer will use a two board ("analog" and "digital") design. Prototype of analog board designed, mandril for winding sensor fabricated.
- ST5 magnetometer team "kick-off" meeting held at Goddard Space Flight Center. Slides presented at the meeting are available online.
- Contract awarded to UCLA for fabrication of ST5 fluxgate magnetometers.
- Fluxgate Magnetometers for ST5 website is unveiled.
- UCLA is selected to build fluxgate magnetometers for the New Millennium Program's ST5 Mission.